If you are looking at any kind of home renovation project, you are not alone. Every year. about $10 billion is generated by the interior design industry. One way to lower your utility bills and increase the value of your home is to hire window installers. New home windows can keep your home cool in the summer and warmer in the winter but picking the right company to do a professional window and door installation can be a challenge.
- Think about your wants and needs. Before you start to look for window installers, you need to decide what you want. This means knowing how many replacement windows you are going to want. You also need to have the right dimensions. Are you putting in larger windows or keeping the same size? You should decide how much you want to tackle at once and what your budget is. No matter who you hire to do your window installation, if you are not really sure what you want and what you want to spend before you start, you will have a much better chance of being unhappy with the final result. Any time you take before your project begins is time well worth spending.
- Look at different window styles. There are two different ways you can approach the replacement window purchase process. You can work with window installers to find something you like or you can go ahead and find your windows before you hire anyone to do the work. Buying replacement windows is not something most homeowners do on a regular basis and it is a big purchase so, again, take your time looking at different window styles and types. Newer windows are a lot more efficient than their predecessors. Pay attention to how energy-efficient the windows are, what they are made of, and how they will look when they are installed at your home.
- Find the right window installers for your project. Finding the right windows is important and finding the right people to install them is equally important.
- Talk to people you know. You know people who own their own homes. You probably also know people who have had replacement windows installed. Ask around and see if there is one company that is recommended again and again. The best way to find a good product or service is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust.
- Go with a company with a lot of experience. Installing new windows in a home is a hard and complicated job. It is important to find a company that has a lot of experience doing window installations. If you go with a local company, which is always better, you can go around your area and see examples of their work.
- Do not go by price alone. It is often tempting to hire the cheapest company that comes along but that can be a costly mistake. You may have to have the job done a second time. The same is true of hiring the most expensive company in the area. You are better off getting at least three quotes from window installers and picking the one in the middle.
- Ask about the company’s tools and equipment. You want to go with window installers who have newer and more advanced tools and equipment. You need to know they will be able to properly anchor the windows and put in a good seal. Moisture is your home’s enemy so you do not want it getting in through your newly installed windows.
- Get the right warranty. You need one on the windows themselves but it is also important to find a window installation company that will offer a lifetime warranty on the work they do. A lifetime warranty on the work done will also give you peace of mind that you will be able to have the new windows serviced when and if that is needed.
Sometimes it may seem like the job of “homeowner” is never done. Picking new windows for your home and finding the right people to install them can be stressful but it does not have to be. Following these three tips can make the process go a lot easier.